Wednesday, May 21, 2008

It's Asparagus time


A favorite food of mine is asparagus and as I was shopping a few days ago I noticed that the local crop had arrived. As we may only get it for the next 3 weeks or so I plan on eating as much asparagus as I can. Quite often I'll just fry in up in a pan with a little garlic and butter, and nothing else; more of a snack than a meal. The rest of the time I'll actually have it with a meal and try and pair it with something that goes well with it. So tonight it was Asparagus with Halibut with a Black Bean/Quinoa side serving.
Serves 2
30 minutes

  1. First cook the Quinoa. Put 1 cup in with 1 and 1/2 cups of water and bring to a boil. For this recipe I used the water that I had cooked the black beans in. Once it begins to boil, turn to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
  2. Have 1 cup of cooked black beans ready. Used canned beans if you wish.
  3. In a pan at medium heat melt some butter and add as much asparagus as you want. Cook for 5 minutes. Add a clove of minced garlic for the last 2 minutes.
  4. In a separate pan at medium high, melt some butter and place two, 1 inch thick Halibut steaks. Cook for 3 minutes a side for perfection or longer if you want it fully cooked through.
  5. In a small pan fry in oil 2 Tbsp's of minced ginger for 4 minutes.
When everything is done put it all on a plate and top the quinoa with the black beans and the beans with the ginger. Add a little salt to the asparagus and you are eating a fine meal.

No comments: